Key Text: Gen. 5:24 ” Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.”
The most common yet very intriguing question is How do you know that God is leading you? Expecting that you wanted God to lead your lives. But do you really wanted to know if God is leading you to the right path?
How do you know that someone or God is leading you? If you want to be led by God you have to trust Him. TRUST is the basic key in knowing that God is leading you. How much do you trust your leader? When we say TRUST it involves putting ourselves into His care.
There are things that we will consider in knowing that God is leading us.
- Enoch walked with God.
It is easy to understand his leading when you have built a special bond of relationship with God. The bible talks about Enoch walking with God. (Gen. 5:24)
There is something in walking that enhances the relationship.
- Conversation – conversation happened while walking. Listening and at the same time talking with each other helps you understand each other more. You will understand his feeling of how he expresses his words, his outward expression, and even his feelings. The conversation is the best way to deepen a relationship. In our present situation, having a conversation with God is reading his Words – it means listening to what God wants us to hear and understand and talking to him means expressing your desire in prayer.
- Time – walking together involve spending more time together. If you spent more time with each other, it will lead to a closer relationship with each other. Spending time means doing more of the reading of His words, doing more of the prayer in expressing your desire, your praise to the Lord in uttering words or even in songs.
- Faithfully – There is an adjective that is inserted in the Gen. 5:24 “Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.” EGW says “This is the desire that filled Enoch’s heart. And we read that he walked with God. He studied the character of God to a purpose. He did not mark out his own course, or set up his own will, as if he thought himself fully qualified to manage matters. He strove to conform himself to the divine likeness.” (EGW, Bible Commentary Vol. 1, p. 1087)
2. Consider the Prompting of the Holy Spirit.
When you have built a bond with God. It is easy to hear the Holy Spirit’s prompting. Because the Holy Spirit’s prompting will not go against the principles of truth – and you will know the principles of truth when you spend more time walking, talking, and trusting God faithfully. Acts 20:22 – “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there.” This happened because he knows that the Holy Spirit compelled him to go to Jerusalem. Paul mentioned that he did not know what will happen to him but he knows that is going to go to Jerusalem because he already built a special bond with God.
3. Consider Wise People in Your Life.
Think of people in your life who are Godly. Those people even not perfect but you know in your heart based on the principle of truth from the Scriptures that these people are bearing the fruit of the Holy Spirit. It could be your parents, your pastors, your church elders or even your friend. Listen to their advice and their advice should not go against the principles of truth.
There is only one explanation that you will know that God is leading you when you know God and trust God completely.